Thursday, October 11, 2012

Car Seat Faux Pas

It has recently come to my attention of how inadequate I am when it comes to things concerning little people. This past weekend, we packed up and went to Grand Junction to visit all of our extended family. We have grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, neighbors, friends, acquaintances, and even long lost high school enemies that live there. We love to visit and see everybody, but it sure is nice to come home and have our quiet little lives back too.

Aunt Shayna had noticed that since Austin was getting so big, it was time for him to move up to a bigger size carseat. I was telling my dad that we were going to go to Target later to pick one out (Secretly I wasn't sure why because I knew that whichever one we picked out was going to be the wrong one and Aunt Shayna would get us the one we needed anyhow) and he tells me he has an extra one he could give us. I look at it, and it seems perfect!! I was sort of worried because the first two grandkids were girls, but this one seemed to have passed the "unisex" test.

All weekend long we kept forgetting to try the new-to-us carseat out but it was just so crazy going from place to place. We would never think of it until we had already left the house. So finally the time came that we were heading home and were forced to change out Austin's carseat. I have to admit, that I got a little bit choked up. I couldn't believe my little peanut from the hospital was now in a big carseat! Not only that, but that he didn't even look small in the big boy carseat! As I stood there watching Jeremy install the carseat I was taking a stroll down memory lane, trying to remember what life was like before diapers, carseats, and twenty pounds of formula. It was in vain because once you are mother, or rather a parent, there is no turning back!

We had so much stuff to bring home, we had to put Austin's carseat by the side door and lay the backseat all the way down. He was completely surrounded by stuff that it made me a little bit nervous. But come to find out, he had so much stuff to look at that it actually entertained him for a little while. So, I guess it worked out for everyone.

The day after we got home and got the car unloaded, I moved Austin's carseat over to the middle. It seemed.... odd. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but something about it just seemed weird. I didn't think too much of it, so I went and got Austin and strapped him in. After seeing him in the carseat, I realized what was so odd about it. He seemed like he was leaning too far towards the backseat. His carseat was really off balance. I tried just about everything I could think of to fix it before I texted Aunt Shayna. I asked her about the carseat going from the side to the middle, and how his carseat seemed off balance. After sending a horrible description through a text message, I decided to take a picture and send it to her. Afterall, it was worth a thousand words. And apparently a thousand laughs too. Shayna called me with a little chuckle in her voice. I knew she was trying to be gracious in not laughing directly at me, but was waiting for me to laugh at myself first and then she would chime in. She told me that underneath the carseat are legs, or little stands. They are only supposed to be out when the carseat is facing forward. Since Austin is still in the phase of rear-facing, the legs were supposed to be tucked in.

I tried her theory and sure enough! The carseat leveled out and Austin didn't look like he would face plant against the back seat anymore. All I can say is, thank goodness for a sister and an aunt like Shayna who knows everything there is to know about little people and little people things. Otherwise, I just don't think Austin would make it!

No comments:

Post a Comment